It's Adopt A Senior Pet Month So Go Adopt A Senior Dog - DCist.com

November has been dubbed Adopt A Senior Pet Month by the people who make up things like that. While arbitrary holidays can be annoying, obvious PR stunts, a month devoted to adopting a senior pet is a noble one and a cause close to our hearts here at DCist.

Today we have a roundup of adoptable older dogs in D.C., and tomorrow we'll do the same for cats. Note: Do not play Sarah McLachlan while reading this.

Washington Humane Society

pudgy.jpg


  • Pudgy, 18: " At the golden age of 18 he's happy to just lie by your feet and keep you company. But what he lacks in speed he makes up for in charm! You'd be hard-pressed to find a more endearing pup! He loves humans and dogs alike, and would likely try to cuddle with your kitty. Please consider giving Pudgy the happy ending he deserves! Likes: naps, walks, sniffing, soft beds, leaf piles, other dogs, people (especially who pet him), treats Dislikes: stairs, glass doors (eyes don't work as well as they used to!) Contact my foster family at sfgetty@gmail.com to learn more or meet me."

  • Mama, 8: "My name is Mama and I am looking for my forever home. At 8 years old I love to snuggle on my comfy dog bed but also really enjoy walks. If you are looking for a terrific companion who is happy just being part of the family, I am your girl. Please e-mail my foster, Gina at gallerindian@yahoo.com to meet me!"
    chuck.jpg

  • Chuck, 10: "I'm Chuck,(aka Chuckers, aka The Chuck Master) and I'm a real cool guy to hang out with. The staff and volunteers love me so much, they even picked me as the "Staff Favorite". I walk really well on leash and enjoy training sessions using positive reinforcement. I know a few tricks and commands, but I really can't wait to learn more. I'm an active dog and love play time, but what I like more than anything is sitting down next to you and getting lots and lots of pets and belly rubs. I am also part of the WHS People Animal Cardio Klub (PACK) which means I go on walks in Rock Creek Park with volunteers because I am such a fun pup. Come meet me today...I might just be the dog you're looking for!"


    niagara.jpg Washington Animal Rescue League

    *WARL has a program called "Boomers’ Buddies," where fees are waived if adopters 50 years of age and older adopt dogs and cats 5 years old and older.*


  • Niagara, 10: No description, but he looks very cute.

  • Booty, 6: "I'm a friendly and social pit bull mix. I can be a little nervous and shy in brand new situations, but warm up quickly once I know that I am safe. I would love to have a home of my own where I can go on long walks through the neighborhood and then rest on a comfy dog bed. I get along with other dogs too!"
    City Dogs Rescue

    gabriel.jpg

  • Gabriel, 7: "Gabriel had a rough past—he came to us emaciated and very much neglected. Despite that, he is a super sweet, gentle, loving and friendly boy with a heart of gold! He looks at you and smiles. He likes to mimic what other dogs in the home are doing. If they are couch potatoes, then he will be too. If you want to go for a walk, he is ready! He LOVES plain ice cubes more than anything! He has taken to Nylabones (he chews them in downward dog position!). He also loves sunbathing (outside or inside) or laying on the couch next to one of his four foster brothers. This beautiful boy also enjoys belly rubs. Gabriel is good with men, women, children, other dogs and cats. He's a low-key guy who doesn't require much exercise but he does love walks. He does well in the crate and is housebroken. He's extremely quiet: in his foster home, he has not made a peep!"

  • Lucky and Ursa, both 9: "Lucky and Ursa were dropped off at the shelter and could have been put to sleep at any time. They are both reported to be housebroken. They are good with kids, people and other dogs. They are friendly, affectionate, treat-motivated and love to play."


    Rural Dog Rescue

    sissy.jpg

  • Sissy, 8: "My name is Sissy and I was rescued from Rutherford County, North Carolina. I am a spayed female, tan Chihuahua - Smooth Coated mix. My age is a little up for debate, the shelter staff in North Carolina say I’m 8, but my teeth and energy have made some at Rural Dog Rescue think I’m actually 3! Either way I’ve still got lots of life and love to give! I'm a bit shy at first, but if you love me, I will show you unconditional love and loyalty in return! I love to play catch and run around, but if you’re watching TV or working I am more than happy to cuddle up nearby on the couch or doggy bed. I get along with other dogs and kids of all ages, and while I haven’t been around cats I think I would like them too. As a bonus to my cuteness and other great qualities I’m also house trained."

  • Teddy, 8-10: *Disclosure: He is my foster dog and he is great.* "Teddy B found his way to us by way of the Prince Georges County shelter in Maryland. We've helped fix a few dental issues and now he's ready to find a new family. This 8- 10-year old Bichon Frise deserves a great family and home! His foster mom says he is easy to care for and is house trained! Teddy B loves all people, dogs and cats that he meets!"
    Homeward Trails


  • Freckles, 8: "Freckles is one of the many dogs just rescued from a hoarding situation in rural Virginia. He has lived for many years in an outdoor only kennel, without proper shelter or any medical care. He has had to withstand the hottest of summers and coldest of winters with nothing more than a cement floor in an 6 x 8 pen. But you would never this sweet boy has been neglected by his spirit. Though he has been starved for love and attention, he is gentle, friendly and absolutely loves being pet and loved on. Freckles does well with other dogs and walks nicely on leash."

  • Griffin Boy, 8-10: "Sweet Griffin Boy was abandoned by his owners, probably because they suspected he might be going blind. He was found as a stray and taken to a rural SC high-kill shelter. Surgery is necessary to remove the cataracts from his eyes. Hopefully, he will soon be able to see all of the people who love and helped him. This is a little angel dog! He is very lovable and likes to be cuddled. Griffin Boy does fine with other dogs. He needs to find a quiet forever home where he can recuperate and live a long, happy life."

  • Happy Gilmore, 10: "Happy Gilmore is one very sweet boy - and he definitely lives up to his name. He's a happy, social and friendly guy who enjoys the company of people and other dogs. You would never know that he has lived the majority of his life in an outdoor only shelter shared with 60 to over 100 dogs at any time. Even without much attention from people, this guy has not given up hope that his forever family is out there waiting for him. He unfortunately has not been given proper medical care including the basic prevention for heartworm and fleas. His skin is a bit itchy and raw and he has some lumps and bumps, but this loving hound still has lots of love and years of companionship to give."
    missmoore.jpg

  • Miss Moore, 8: "Little one-eyed Miss Moore is one of many dogs recently rescued from a hoarding situation in rural Virginia. She lived for many many years outside with frozen water in the winter, no relief from the harsh heat of the summer and no medical care at all. She's an older gal and a bit stiff in the joints, but she just couldn't be any sweeter. Now that she's getting the needed medical care and will start to feel better any time now, she'll be ready to find her new family any day!"

  • Lil Ms. Pepper, 8: "Pepper is a darling 40-pound girl. She has the blocky head of a Bernese, but the short coat of a beagle. She's happy and friendly and loves people and children. At a youthful 8 years of age, she is still smart and athletic. Given half a chance, Pepper is happy to climb into your lap to snuggle. "

  • Murphy Boy, 10-11: "Meet Murphy, a resilient and sweet little snuggle bug. Murphy is a 10-11 year old shih-tzu who is in need of a nice warm bed and someone to spoil him in his old age. He is very sweet and gets along great with other dogs & cats too! Murphy Boy would love a quieter home as he's not as spry as he likes to think he is."

  • Sarah, no age listed: "Sarah is a darling little lap dog who was placed with her brother, Buster, in a kill shelter by their previous family. All they wanted was to find a loving home where they could live together. Since they were so bonded, they could not be adopted separately. Unfortunately, while waiting patiently for a new forever person or family to find them, Buster went to Rainbow Bridge. Now, Sarah will have to live her remaining years alone. We are all very sad to have lost Buster before his time."

  • Sissi, 9: "Sissi is quiet and a bit shy, but very sweet and affectionate. This is a low maintenance girl with low- to no-shed fur. Sissi prefers to stay in her crate most of the day, but enjoys short walks too. While Sissi gets along with other dogs her size, she is a little afraid of larger dogs. She can be a grouchy old lady with other dogs when they are near her food or crate. But Sissi is never aggressive with them, she just prefers to be left alone."
    K-9 Lifesavers


  • George, 10: "Meet Georgie Boy !!!! George and his two female beagle friends came to us in the most horrible condition we had ever seen. Their skin was raw and bleeding and these guys were in very much pain. George and his girlfriends have come a very long way. With the proper veterinary care and treatment, their skin is tons better and their hair has grown back and they are fat and happy and loving life now. All they really want is a home for the holidays."
dcist.com/2013/11/its_adopt_a_senior_dog_month_so_ado.php
Previous
Next Post »
Thanks for your comment